Metahuman Press is not currently accepting submissions at this time. Please stay tuned for details about the new submissions policies that MHP will put in to place for projects beginning next year.
Metahuman Press wants to develop super-powered fiction to the next level online, and one way we want to do that is to show a variety of writer’s creative visions online. Therefore, we have placed an open call for serialized heroic fiction.
We accept submissions from all levels of writers, whether they be newcomers to the field or seasoned veterans. Anyone is welcome to submit their concepts and stories to us. But we won’t take just anything. Here’s what you need to know before you send that e-mail. Please read this information from top to bottom. Improper submissions will not be accepted!
- All stories must be 100% original, featuring only characters and ideas you have created or developed yourself. We are not a fan fiction site, and that’s not what we or our readers want to see. Metahuman Press is only interested in original heroes, original stories, and original concepts. Sure, just about every superpower imaginable has been done before, but that doesn’t mean we want to see stories featuring the Y-Men or Flying Rodent Man.
- We’re writers, too, so please, please, PLEASE edit your own work! If your work is filled with grammatical and spelling errors, don’t expect us to publish it. We have a hard enough time keeping our own work cleaned up; we will not take the time to correct error after error in a manuscript.
- While one shot stories are occasionally accepted, we prefer serials. Yeah, you can submit your short stories to us, and if they’re really good, we will probably publish them, but what MP is all about is serial stories. Think of just about every comic series you’ve ever read, than transplant it in to prose form. We want to provide readers with continued stories of new characters. These take one of two forms: the limited series or the ongoing series. Each form has slighly different guidelines to what you should send.
- Limited series. A limited series is a serial that has a consise beginning, middle, and end. On Metahuman Press, they can run anywhere between two (2) and twelve (12) chapters. When you submit a limited series, we want the following things: an author’s bio, the first chapter of the work, and an outline of the series (preferably broken down by chapter), and a description of the central characters in the story. MHP will keep every chapter of a limited series up indefinitely, or we will remove it four months after the series comes to its end at the creator’s request.
- Ongoing series. An ongoing series generally focuses on one character or group of characters, and tells a variety of adventures. Often, these adventures will be broken down in to story arcs, which work on the same basis as limited series, but may have subplots and supporting cast members that continue from one part to another. When you submit ongoing series to MHP, we want the following things: an author’s bio, one to two sample chapters, descriptions of the central characters in the saga, and an overview of where you see the story going over the first year or so. MP will keep each chapter up for at least six months, longer at an author’s request.
- Where to submit: Send all submissions in plain text to submissions(at)metahumanpress.com. (You will need to replace the (at) with the @ symbol obviously.) SUBMISSIONS MUST NOT CONTAIN ANY ATTACHMENTS! We prefer that you break up the sample chapters and the rest of the submission in to two e-mails, as this keeps e-mails from becoming too long. We generally review all submissions every two to four weeks, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t receive an immediate response.
- Payment: We don’t sell any of the stories on our site, so we don’t make any money on the site. That means we don’t pay for any stories. All we can offer you is a place where your work sees prints, and a loyal following of readers. Print versions may come in the future. All participation in the print versions will be at creator’s discretion. All involved will be paid a percentage of profits.
- Copyright information: Metahuman Press is a trademark of Nicholas Ahlhelm Ahlhelm, but every story remains copyright and trademark its respective writer. That means you own your work, and can reprint and reuse it wherever and whenever you want. We only reserve the right to hold the story on the site for the minimum of the time listed above under limited and ongoing series.
- We look forward to your submissions! MHP always loves to read new work, so submit your stories already!